2. 25% Discount with AC&NC JetstorAdvanced Computer & Network Corporation / Jetstor is offering a LOPSA members a 25% discount on the new JetStor 826FXD all flash storage appliance. Offer runs for Q1 2017.
3. LOPSA at LISA 2016
For the first time, LOPSA's booth was on the expo floor during LISA. We registered 19 new members and had great conversations with future members, sponsors, collaborators and volunteers. Thank you to everyone who stopped by!
See you in San Francisco at LISA 2017!
The Call for Participation will be available in January 2017.
Early proposals deadline: Monday, February 27, 2017
Standard proposals deadline: Monday, April 24, 2017
4. LISA 2016 - Ski's Report
I felt that LISA this year was rich with content that I could bring back to work and immediately use. For me a few of the highlights were:
- A VMware Infrastructure Design tutorial that has several great ideas for optimizing your vmware infrastructure. This was much easier than digging through reams of documentation to find the information.
- A systemd tutorial that was very useful for getting me up to speed on the basics so I can not experiment with it on my own.
- A talk on the new features in Windows 2016 such as containers, native ssh, and Powershell V5.
- A talk on the basic principles of DevOps and how they can be applied in non-dev environments.
Finally there were several talks that stressed the future will be changing even more rapidly due to new technologies such as persistent memory, IoT security issues, and
increasing complexity in all our systems. As system admins, we will need to spend more time learning in order to keep up with the changing systems.
5. LOPSA Members LISA 2016 ReportsTom Limoncelli, who donated a copy of his latest book for the LOPSA Annual Meeting Raffle, thanks Tom!
Aleksey Tsalolikhin, who won our first issued LOPSA Challenge coin! Congratulations Aleksey.
SASAG: Seattle Area System Administrators Guild
SASAG needs speakers. If you are interested in speaking, or have a vendor contact that can give a good technical presentation (no marketing please), contact the organizers through Meetup.com or the email list: email@example.com
SASAG needs a regular place to meet. We've had generous hosts over the years, but now we need a new location. Ideally:
- Downtown, or easy access from downtown and transit
- Available nearby parking on a weeknight at ~6:30pm
- Projector and meeting room for up to ~30 people
On December 16 we had our LISA Wrapup and Holiday Party at the offices of Qumulo.
Our next meeting is location & speaker TBA on Thursday January 12.
Dinner will be sponsored by Silicon Mechanics.
LOPSA-LA / UUASC: Los Angeles
LOPSA-LA in December was one of those fantastic nights with tasty food and free-flowing and stimulating conversation. Thank you to everyone who attended and special thanks to our guest of honor, DevOps Handbook co-author John Willis @botchagalupe
LOPSA-NJ: New JerseyLOPSA-NJ is planning for their February Meeting. We are looking for Speakers for February and future meetings. If you are interested please send an email with your talk description to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank You To Our Sponsors & Lifetime Members
We'd like to thank our sponsors. We're deeply grateful for their continuing support of LOPSA. More information on how to become a sponsor.
7. Thanks to our Sponsors & Lifetime Members
Thanks to our Lifetime Members: Benjamin Carrell, Philip Kizer, Greg Rose, Todd Taft, Jennine Townsend
Thanks to our individual sponsors:
Platinum: Jennine Townsend, Dan Rich
Gold: Ski Kacoroski
Silver: Matt Disney, Lee Damon, Scott Murphy, Ian Viemeister
Bronze: Gary Studwell
Gold Sponsor Paessler AG
Bronze Sponsor Edgestream Partners is a small group of scientists and engineers with a unique approach to trading in the financial markets. Our company designs, builds and runs a global trading software platform. We take pride in our software craftsmanship and use Python, Cython and C on Linux to run our global trading operations. We also use open-source tools as much as possible - Python, PostgreSQL, numpy, git, Cobbler, Puppet and Ansible are all crucial to our business.
Bronze Sponsor O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism. Check them out.
Sponsor DataDog helps you monitor your entire stack. Graphing, alerting and correlatoin for all your systems. Sign up for a free 14-day trial.
LOPSA's web content is hosted by DreamHost .
8. Comments or suggestions?
As we close out this month's LOPSAgram, we want to make sure we're giving you the information you want or need. If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to send them to email@example.com